There is nothing quite like the sense of adventure of setting off on a road trip around America. With vast, open roads, incredibly varied landscapes, and fifty states to explore, you’ll find no end of amusements on the road. That, however, can’t necessarily be said for the little ones. No matter how scenic the view is from the backseat, kids can easily get bored, which often leads to complaining and asking the dreaded “are we there yet” question.
Here at Alamo, we have 40 years’ worth of experience of driving around the United States, and along the way, we’ve picked up a thing or two when it comes to keeping everyone in the car happy. We’ve found the secret to happy passengers in the backseat is through good, classic car games. In a previous blog post, we created a set of fun Road Trip Bingo Cards for you and your kids to play with, and now we’ve come up with an awesome scavenger hunt!
To play is simple. All you need to do is print off a copy of the list below, which details 20 things for you to find on your travels around America, and then when you find or spot them, either collect them or take a snap to add to your album of holiday photos. The challenge is to find as many items as possible and tick them off the list during your road trip across the United States, and if you want to add a competitive edge to the game, see who can find them all first to be declared the winner! Good luck!
1. Spot an American flag waving its stars and stripes in the breeze
2. Collect a state postcard from wherever it is that you’re visiting
3. Honk your horn as you pass over a state line
4. Take a selfie next to a state ‘Welcome’ sign
5. Keep your eyes peeled for a car with a license plate from a different state to the one you’re currently in
6. Spot the same car as the one you’re in – same make, model and colour
7. Look out for a car with multiple bumper stickers all over it – and why not take a look at our blog post on 24 People Expressing Their Opinions on Bumper Stickers
8. Spot a car driving along and pulling a trailer behind it
9. Be on the lookout for a taxi cab as you’re driving around the States
10. You’re going to have to pay attention to spot a yellow car on the road
11. Look out for a flashy sports car driving around
12. Try to spot a sports stadium during your American road trip
13. Look out for a horse as you travel across the country
14. See if you can spot a dog enjoying a ride in a car – just like our blog post on 40 Dogs Having the Time of Their Lives in Cars
15. Get a trucker to honk his horn as you’re driving past
16. Look out for a Stop sign at the side of the road
17. At some point you’ll have to stop to fill up for gas, so look out for a gas station
18. You’ll probably also want some snacks for the road, so keep an eye out for a grocery store, as well
19. Alternatively, why not see if you can spot a fast food drive-in
20. And don’t forget to look up occasionally, in search of a really tall building like a skyscraper
Wherever you’re travelling around America, you’ll be able to join in this fun road trip scavenger hunt game, especially with Alamo Rent-A-Car pick up locations all over the United States! Happy driving!